DAMES, Mansel Longworth. Bath 1850 — 1922. British Civil Servant, Indologist and Historian of India. Son of George Longworth Dames and Caroline Amelia Brunswick. Passed the I.C.S. examination in 1868 and 1870 joined Bengal Civil Service. Served long time in Dera Ghazi Khan. Retired in 1897.
Publications: books and articles on Indian history, numismatics, etc.
– A grammar and vocabulary of the northern Belochi Language. JASB Extra No. Calcutta 1880.
– “The Coins of the Durranis”, NC 3:8, 1888, 325-363.
– The Baloch Race: A Historical and Ethnological Sketch. Asiatic So. Monogr. 4. London 1904.
– Popular Poetry of the Baloches. Vol. 1. Asiatic Soc. Monogr. 9. London 1907.
– translated: The Book of Duarte Barbosa. 1-2. 118+524 p. Hakluyt Soc. L. 1918-20.
– “The Portuguese and Turks in the Indian Ocean in the 16th century”, JRAS 1921, 1-28.
Sources: *Temple, JRAS 1922; Wikipedia; not in Br. Biogr. Arch. 1st & 2nd series.