AITKEN, Edward Hamilton. Satara, India 16.8.1851 — Edinburgh 11.4.1909. British (Scottish) Civil Servant in India. Son of Rev. James A., a missionary of Free Church of Scotland, educated in Bombay. Studies at Bombay University, B.A. and M.A. In 1880-86 Reader in Latin at Deccan College. Then served in Customs and Salt Department in various parts of Bombay Presidency, finally Collector of Customs in Karachi and Sindh. Retired 1906 and moved to Edinburgh. Married 1883 Isabella Mary Blake, three daughters and two sons. A naturalist, mainly interested in birds and insects, who also wrote humoristic books under the pen-name Eha.
Publications: Tribes on my Frontier. 8+216 p. Calcutta 1883 (on animals).
– Behind the Bungalow. 8+158 p. Calcutta 1889.
– The Naturalist on the Prown, or, In the Jungle. 257 p. L. 1894.
– Five Windows of the Soul, or, Thoughts on Perceiving. 267 p. L. 1898.
– Common Birds of Bombay. 14+195 p. Bombay 1900.
– Further writings, articles on nature.
Sources: T.R.D. Bell, J. of Bombay Nat. Hist. Soc.19, 1909, 540-543; Buckland, Dictionary; Wikipedia with small photo
Last Updated on 2 years by Admin