MACDONALD, Kenneth Somerled. Glen Urquhart, Inverness 18.4.1832 — 30.7.1903. Rev. Dr. British (Scots) Missionary-Indologist in India. In 1861 he joined the United Free Church Mission in Calcutta and worked for 41 years as missionary and educator in India. A Fellow of Calcutta University. In his last years he collected material for an unfinished work on Hindu Tantras.
Publications: The Vedic Religion, Or, The Creed and Practice of the Indo-Aryans Three Thousand Years Ago. 259 p. 1881.
– The Story of Barlaam and Joasaph: Buddhism and Christianity. 137 p. Madras 1895.
– Translated: Selections from Upanishads. Madras 1895.
– Brahmanas of the Veda. Madras 1896.
– An Account of the Vedas, with numerous extracts from the Rig Veda. Madras 1897.
– edited periodicals and journals such as the Indian Evangelical Review.
Sources: Buckland, Dictionary; *J. Macphail, K.S.M. Missionary of the Free Church of Scotland. Edinburgh 1905.
Last Updated on