TROTTER, Lionel James. Calcutta ?.9.1827 — Oxford ?.5.1912. British Colonial Officer in India. Son of Edward Trotter, of Calcutta, and Sarah Dickey. “Educated at Charterhouse and Merton College, Oxford. Entered Indian Army, 1847. Served in Panjab campaign, 1848-9, at Chilianwala and Gujarat; Burma war, 1853. Commanded at Sabathu during the mutiny. Retired, 1862.” Captain. Married, two daughters.
Publications: History of the British Empire in India, 1844 to 1862. 1-2. 1866.
– History of India. From The Earliest Times To The Present Day. 1874, rev. ed. L. 1889.
– Warren Hastings: A Biography. 383 p. 1878.
– History of India under Queen Victoria, from 1836 to 1880. 1-2. 11+505+459 p. L. 1886.
– Life of the Marquis of Dalhousie. 235 p. L. 1889; The Earl of Auckland. 1893.
– The Life of John Nicholson: Soldier and Administrator. 333 p. 1897; A Leader of Light Horse: The Life of Hodson of Hodson’s Horse. 396 p. L. 1901; The Bayard of India: A Life of General Sir James Outram, Bart. G. C. B., etc. 320 p. 1903.
Sources: Buckland, Dictionary; prabook.com; books and some additional details traced in Internet; *The Times 7.5.1912.
Last Updated on 2 years by Admin