DEBRUNNER-RUDIN, Johann Albert. Basel 8.2.1884 — Bern 2.2.1958. Swiss Linguist. Professor in Bern and Jena. Son of Albert D., a potter, and Elisabeth Schaub. Studies of classical philology and comparative linguistics at Göttingen (Wackernagel) and Basel (Sommer). Ph.D. 1907 Basel. In 1907-18 schoolteacher in Schiers, Basel and Zürics. From 1917 PD at Zürich, from 1918 ao. Professor at Greifswald. From 1920 ordinary Professor of IE linguistics and classical philology at Bern, for a while, 1925-35, Professor at Jena, then back to his chair at Bern (changing chair with the Nazi-minded Porzig). Retired in 1954. In 1940-49 also in charge of comparative linguistics at Basel. Married 1912 Martha Rudin.
AD was mainly a Greek and IE scholar, but after Wackernagel’s (whom he had long time assisted) death in 1938 he concentrated in continuing the Altindische Grammatik, a work which was after his death continued by K. Hoffmann.
Publications: Much on Greek and IE linguistics.
– Wackernagel & Debrunner: Altindische Grammatik. III. Nominalflexion, Zahlwort, Pronomen. 16+602 p. Göttingen 1930.
– edited with Nachträge 2nd ed. of Altindische Grammatik. I. Lautlehre. 1957, and of II:1. Einleitung zur Wortlehre, Nominalkomposition. 1957.
– Altindische Grammatik. II:2. Nominalsuffixe. 1954.
– articles on Sanskrit grammar and etymology, e.g. “Der Typus tudá- im Altindischen”, BSOS 8, 1936, 487-500; further in AO 20, 1948, 120-132; ArO 1, 1949, 110f.; Festschrift Sommer 1955, 20-25.
– edited: Wackernagel, “Indoiranica”, KZ 67, 1942, 154-182.
Sources: *A. Bloch, Gnomon 30, 1958, 635-637; *G. Redard, Orbis 4, 1955, 277-280; R. Wachler in Web HistLezSchweiz; D.G.K. 1935; briefly in D.B.E. 2, 1995, 455: *Sprachgeschichte und Wortbedeutung. Fs. A.D. 1954, with bibliography; German Wikipedia; photo in Basel University homepage.