GODWIN-AUSTEN, Henry Haversham (until 1854 H. H. Austen). Teignmouth, Devon 6.7.1834 — Godalming, Surrey 2.12.1923. British Colonial Officer and Scientist in India. Son of Robert A. C. Austen (later G.-A.), a geologist, and Maria Godwin. After school at Guildford he went in 1848 to Sandhurst. Entered the army in 1851, went to India and served in the second Burmese war. In 1857 joined the Trigonometrical Survey of India, surveyed large tracts in the Himalayas. In 1860 mapped Baltistan. In 1864 on special duty with Bhutan Field Force. In 1866-76 in Assam. Retired because of health problems in 1877 as Lieutenant-Colonel. Three times married: 1858 Kudikji (d. 1860?), a Kashmiri Muslim lady, one son, 1861 Pauline Plowden (d. 1871), two sons (one died soon), 1881 Jessie Robinson (d. 1913). An eager mountaineer (hence the name Mt. Godwin-Austen for K2). Personally interested in Buddhism.
Publications: “On the System employed in Outlining the Figures of Deities and other Religious Drawings, as practised in Ladak, Zaskar, etc.”, JASB 33, 1864, 151-154, 3 pl.; “Description of a Mystic Play, as performed in Ladak, Zaskar, etc.”, JASB 34:1, 1865, 71-76, 10 photogr.
– “A Vocabulary of English, Balti and Kashmiri”, JASB 35, 1866, 233-267.
– “On the Stone Monuments of the Khasi Hill Tribes, and on Some of the Peculiar Rites and Customs of the People”, JRAnthrInst 1, 1872, 122-143; “On the Rude Stone Monuments of Certain Naga Tribes, with Some Remarks on Their Customs, etc.”, JRAnthrInst 4, 1875, 144-147; “Further Notes on the Rude Stone Monuments of the Khasi Hill Tribes”, JRAnthrInst 5, 1876, 37-41.
– “On the Ruins at Dímápúr on the Dunsirí river, Asám”, JASB 43:1, 1874, 1-6.
– Birds of Assam. 1870-78; On the Land and Freshwater Mollusca of British India. 1-3. L. 1882-99; with W. T. Blanford, Mollusca: Testacellidae and Zonitidae. 354 p. The Fauna of Br. India. L. 1908.
– Articles on geology, ethnology and natural history of India.
Sources: Buckland, Dictionary; *B.B.W., Journal of Molluscan Studies 16, 1924, 82f.; long account in Who Was Who 1916–1928; Wikipedia with photo.
Last Updated on 5 months by Admin