GREAVES, Edwin. 18?? — 19??. British Missionary in India. Educated in Islington and Western College. Served London Missionary Society in N.W.P. Principal of the society’s college in Benares, then of Missionary Language School in Lucknow, from 1882 at the new station in Kachwa, Mirzapur. Championed the use of Devanāgarī in Hindī.
Publications: Notes on the grammar of the Rāmāyan of Tulsī Das. 58 p. Benares 1895.
– A grammar of modern Hindí. 269 p. Benares 1896, rev. ed. 1908.
– Kashi: The City Illustrious or Benares. 153 p. 25 ill. Allahabad 1909.
– Hindi Grammar. 13+512 p. Allahabad 1912, 2nd ed. 1933.
– A descriptive and classified catalogue of Hindi Christian literature: published up to 1916-17. 4+44+8 p. Allahabad 1917.
– A Sketch of Hindi Literature. 8+112 p. Madras 1918.
– The life of the Lord Jesus Christ and the Four Gospels in Santali. 255 p. Benagaria 1931.
– Religious books in Hindī.
Sources: Not in Br. Biogr. Arch. 1st & 2nd Series, not in Who Was Who; scanty stray notes in Internet, books in worldcat.org.
Last Updated on 3 months by Admin