HUMPHREYS, Travers Christmas (“Toby”). Ealing, Middlesex 15.2.1901 — London 13.4.1983. British Lawyer and Bauddha. Son of a lawyer, Travers H., educated at Malvern College. Studied at Cambridge (Trinity Hall), 1924 called to the Bar by Inner Temple. Worked as lawyer in various positions, 1950 Senior Prosecuting Counsel like his father, from 1962 Commissioner of Central Criminal Court. Retired as judge in 1976. Adopted Theosophy as student and in 1924 founded the Buddhist Society.
Publications: Numerous books on Buddhism (including Zen), e.g.:
– Studies in the Middle Way. L. 1940, 3rd ed. 169 p. 1959, 4th 1976.
– Buddhism. Harmondsworth 1951, and many editions.
– The Way of Action. A Working Philosophy for Western Life. 196 p. L. 1960;.
– Popular dictionary of Buddhism. L. 1962, rev. ed. 224 p. L. 1976, again 1984.
– Sixty Years of Buddhism in England. 84 p. L. 1968.
– The Buddhist Way of Life. An Invitation for Western Readers. 224 p. L. 1969.
– Exploring Buddhism. 191 p. L. 1974.
Sources: *M. Daw, The Eastern Buddhist 16, 1983, 134-139; *Oxford D.N.B.; Wikipedia with photo; photo in Peiris.
Last Updated on 3 months by Admin