LARIN, Boris Aleksandrovič. Poltava 12.1.1893 — Leningrad 26.3.1964. Russian (Ukrainian) Linguist, Specialist of Balto-Slavonian also interested in Sanskrit. Professor in Leningrad. Son of a schoolteacher. Educated in 1902-06 at Kamenec-Podol’skoj gimnazii and 1906-10 at Kievskoj Kollegij im. Pavla Galagana. In 1910-14 studies at Kiev University of Slavonian philology and of Sanskrit, Baltic and IE under Knauer. In 1913-14 in Lithuania studying dialects. Kiev University was closed during the war and BAL continued his studies at St.Petersburg under Baudouin de Courtenay, Ol’denburg, Ščerbackoj, Salemann, et al. He also studied pedagogics at Kiev and St.Petersburg. From 1922 Professor (Docent of Lithuanian) at St.Petersburg University. In addition to Russian he taught Ukrainian, Serbo-Croatian, Baltic and Lithuanian, Sanskrit and comparative linguistics. Dr. filologičeskih nauk 1947. In 1954-58 and 1960-62 Dean of Philological Faculty. In 1962-64 Professor with chair of Slavonian Philology at St.Petersburg University. From 1945 correspondant member of Ukrainian Academy of Sciences, from 1949 member of Lithuanian Academy of Sciences. As Indologist he was a specialist of Sanskrit (though also interested in Hindi), especially of aesthetics (Vāmana).
Publications: Studies on Russian philology, lexicography and dialectology, on Baltic philology.
– “Iz oblasti vedijskoj poèzii”, Vostok 4, 1924, 46-57 (translated).
– “Učenie o simvole v indijskoj poètike”, Poètika 2, 1927.
– Materialy po litovskoj dialektologii. 1926; Russko-litovskij slovar’. 1941.
– Dr. diss. Tri inostrannyh istočnika po istorii russkogo jazyka XVI-XVII vv. MS. 1947.
– “Ob izučenii i perevodax drevneindijskoj poètiki”, Romano-germanskaja filologija. Sb. statej v vest’ akademika V. F. Šišimareva. Lg. 1957.
Sources: V. I. Kal’janov, NAA 1964:4, 276f.; *R. Lewicki, Lex. gramm. 1996, 549f.; Vikipedija with photo; not in Miliband.
Last Updated on 2 years by Admin