SAUNDERS, Kenneth James. Cape Town 10.1.1882 — 1937. British (?) Missionary in India. Studies at Cambridge: B.A. 1905, M.A. 1912. In 1908-12 Vice-Principal of Trinity College in Kandy. From 1913 Principal of Y.M.V.A. College in Calcutta, also Literary Secretary of Y.M.C.A. India, Burma and Ceylon (1915). In 1921 Haskell Lecturer at University of Chicago. From 192? Professor of History of Religion at Pacific Schools of Religion of U.C. Berkeley until his death.
Publications: The Heart of Buddhism, Being an Anthology of Buddhist Verse. 95 p. L. 1915.
– The Story of Buddhism. Oxford 1916.
– With W. D. C. Wagiswara, The Buddha’s Way of Virtue. A translation of the Dhammapada from the Pali Text. 112 p. The Wisdom of the East Series. L. 1920.
– Gotama Buddha, a biography. 111 p. The Heritage of India Series. L. 1922; Buddhism in Modern World. 83 p. 1922; Buddhism and Buddhists in Southern Asia. 85 p. N.Y. 1923; Epochs in Buddhist History. 19+243 p. Chicago 1924.
– tr. Lotuses of the Mahāyāna. 63 p. The Wisdom of the East Series. L. 1924.
– The Christ and the Buddha: A Challenge Accepted. 102 p. 1927.
– The Gospel for Asia. A study of three religious masterpieces: Gīta, Lotus and Fourth Gospel. 19+ 245 p. L. 1928; The Heritage of Asia. 236 p. 1932.
– A Pageant of Asia. A Study of three civilizations. 12+452 p. L. 1934 (i.e. India, China and Japan).
Sources: University of California Register 1923-24. 2, 1924, 24.
Last Updated on 3 years by Admin