EITEL, Ernst Johann (Ernest John E.). Esslingen am Neckar 13.2.1838 — Adelaide 10.11.1908. German Missionary in China, Sinologist and Buddhist Scholar. Studies at Schönthal Seminary and Tübingen University (Ph.D. 1871). A missionary of the Basel Protestant Mission in China from 1862. As his wish to marry an ex-catholic was rejected he moved in 1865 to London Missionary Society working in Hakka villages outside Canton, from 1870 in Hong Kong, in 1879-96 as Inspector of Schools. In 1896 moved to Australia and became the Pastor of St Stephen’s Lutheran Church in Adelaide, from 1898 until death also part-time Lecturer in German at the University of Adelaide. Dr. phil. h.c. Tübingen. In 1866 married Mary Anne Winifred Eaton.
Publications: Handbook for the Student of Chinese Buddhism. 218 p. Hongkong & L. 1870; 2nd rev. ed. 1888 and many editions, e.g. History of Chinese Buddhism. Being a Sanskrit–Chinese Dictionary of Buddhist Terms. Rev. by K. Takakuwa. 329 p. Tokyo 1904.
– Three Lectures on Buddhism. Hongkong 1871; 2nd rev. ed. Buddhism: its historical, theoretical and popular aspects. 122 p. L. 1873; 3rd rev. ed. 1884.
– A Chinese Dictionary in the Cantonese Dialect. 1018+97 p. L. 1877; rev. ed. Hongkong 1910-11.
– edited: The China Review 1-25. 1892-1901.
– Europe in China: the History of Hongkong. 575 p. L. 1895.
– minor works and articles.
Sources: *JA 10:13, 1909; *TP N.S. 10, 1909; works in N.U.C.;Wikipedia.
Last Updated on 8 months by Admin