HUNTER, William Wilson. Glasgow 15.7.1840 — Oaken Holt 7.2.1900. Sir. British (Scots) Civil Servant, Ethnologist and Linguist in India. Son of Andrew Galloway H., educated at Glasgow Academy and University. Further studies at Paris and Bonn. “Went out to Lower Bengal in 1862.” In 1869 he was chosen by Lord Mayo to organize the statistical survey of India and in 1871 made Director-General of Statistics. In 1881-87 Additional Member of Governor-General’s Legislative Council, in 1882-83 President of Education Commission, 1886 Member of Indian Finance Commission, 1886-87 Vice-Chancellor of Calcutta University. Retired in 1887, settled near Oxford. Wrote weekly articles in The Times on Indian affairs and numerous articles and books. C.I.E. 1878, C.S.I. 1884, K.C.S.I. 1887. Hon. LL.D. Glasgow & Cambridge, M.A. Oxford.
Publications: Annals of Rural Bengal. 508 p. L. 1868; A statistical account of Bengal. 20 vols. L. 1875-77; A Statistical Account of Assam. 1-2. 1879; Bengal Manuscript Records. 1894.
– A Comparative Dictionary of the Non-Aryan Languages of India and High Asia. 218 p. L. 1868.
– The Indian Musalmans: Are They Bound in Conscience to Rebel Against the Queen? 211 p. L. 1871; Orissa, Or, The Vicissitudes of an Indian Province Under Native and British Rule. 1. 330 p. L. 1872.
– Life of Lord Mayo. 1875; edited several biographies in Rulers of India Series, himself wrote on Dalhousie and Mayo (again).
– edited 128 volumes of local Gazetteers and compiled from them: Imperial Gazetteer of India. 1-9. 1881 & 1-14. 1885-87 (1-26. 1881).
– A Brief History of the Indian Peoples. 1883, 20th ed. 254 p. Oxford 1893.
– The Indian Empire, its Peoples, History and Products. 1895.
– Life of Brian Houghton Hodgson: British Resident at the court of Nepal. 390 p. L. 1896.
– A history of the British India. 1-2. 475+419 p. L. 1899-1900; several further works on colonial history.
Sources: Buckland, Dictionary; *F.H. Skrine, JRAS 1900, 393-401; *F.H. Skrine, The life of Sir W.W.H. L. 1901; Wikipedia.
Last Updated on